Sunday, January 13, 2008

Psalm 6 - Crying Out to God



"Turn, O Lord, and deliver me; save me because of your unfailing love."

1O LORD, do not rebuke me in your anger
or discipline me in your wrath.
2 Be merciful to me, LORD, for I am faint;
O LORD, heal me, for my bones are in agony.

3 My soul is in anguish.
How long, O LORD, how long?

4 Turn, O LORD, and deliver me;
save me because of your unfailing love.

5 No one remembers you when he is dead.
Who praises you from the grave [b] ?

6 I am worn out from groaning;
all night long I flood my bed with weeping
and drench my couch with tears.

7 My eyes grow weak with sorrow;
they fail because of all my foes.

8 Away from me, all you who do evil,
for the LORD has heard my weeping.

9 The LORD has heard my cry for mercy;
the LORD accepts my prayer.

10 All my enemies will be ashamed and dismayed;
they will turn back in sudden disgrace.

Grace without remembering its cost can lead to a casual view toward sin.
The grace revolution has brought health to the body of Christ, but has the pendulum swung too far? Could we be forgetting another side of God? Whereas Grace relieves the sting of shame, God’s anger toward that sin should not be underestimated. David knew how God felt about sin. He begins this psalm by pleading to Him for patience regarding the condition he finds himself in. He asks that God not punish him in the heat of his anger. God hates sin, and because of this grace does not pardon without payment. Grace liberates because a just and full payment was made through Jesus Christ. We deserve death. Let’s not forget this in the face of our sin. As we plea for grace to flow, it flows freely as blood from His riven side.
David sees himself weak, sick, disturbed and gloomy. Not the picture we often associate with the King of Israel, the champion of wars, and the brilliant softhearted writer of the psalms. Yet, he had this moment where all he could do is cry out to God. How often do we petition God with such accurate assessment of our own lives? It’s all right to be honest with God about our condition. He often hears the cry of the destitute and afflicted before the proud and satisfied.
David, sensing God far away, now he cries for Him to return and deliver him. Perhaps he had tried everything else, or maybe he had learned that those avenues only postpone the grace of God. David has spent hours upon his bed, wetting his pillow with tears. Has God forgotten him? Will he rescue his chosen servant? Yes, he is comforted with the fact that, “The Lord has heard my cry for mercy; the Lord accepts my prayer. Does God accept some prayers and not others? He hears all, however some he will see the condition of the heart, weigh the motives and place the answer on hold until character compliments request. He will not give us anything that we are not ready to accept in humility.
Notice that those who do evil have accosted David. Perhaps some have counseled to reject this God who doesn’t act for His people. But David knows God will come. This faith on David’s part sounds like presumption, but it’s deeper than that! If we hadn’t seen him swimming in tears, we might be tempted to assume David far too sure of himself. But experience has shown me that confidence in prayer, and faith in the middle of hostility is only gained through wrestling God alone in prayer. Jacob had to wrestle God alone on that starless night. We too must defeat tendencies for doubt, pride and hostility. We do so alone in our closets. God will give grace to the humble, but will stand against the proud to cause their ruin.

Anyone not affected by the cost of the cross will need training before grace can be received in full. What is my view of grace in light of the cross? Do I weaken its power by cheapening its gift?

1 comment:

Birdies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.